Steve Sola Interview





Hip Hop game has been circumvented to different genres and styles. When you have worked with the major players in the game, you have every reason to gloat. Not according to the “Mix King” himself Steve Sola. He has been in the studio with legends such as Nas, Mobb Deep, Infamous Mobb, Cormega to name a few. The Italian born, New York by blood top engineer has been hip hop’s secret weapon. Steve Sola may not be a household name but he definitely fits the description of “I’M NOT FAMOUS BUT FAMOUS PEOPLE KNOW ME!”
Intrigued interviews Steve Sola in which he talks about his years in the music business, his role as an engineer, his relations with Mobb Deep, penned out the single from Tyler Perry’s “Daddy’s Little Girls” and more.


What it is, it’s a pleasure interviewing you Steve Sola. You called yourself the mix king. How many years in the game and how you get the name the mix king?

It’s my pleasure also Ty. Thank you for interviewing me. I've been in the professional music business game for 19 yrs; been playing guitar for over 30 yrs. There was an engineer that I had respect for but I was also competitive towards. He was calling himself "Chairman of the boards”. When Myspace came around and I needed a name, I was like if he's the chairman then I’m "The Mix King". I liked how that sounded, so I just put that on myspace. Everybody liked it and nobody was like …what? So I kept it, especially when the artists were like "well you should know…… cause you are the Mix King”

I’m definitely feeling the line “I’m not famous but famous people know me.” It kind of describes me a little bit. LOL.

Yea, I like that too. It just came to me on the spot one day when I needed a quote for google. It flowed quickly without thinking.

You were born in Italy; do you consider yourself a New Yorker?

New Yorker-Gladiator- Mobster- Italian Stallion…lol. No seriously... Mostly New Yorker cause I've been here longer and grew up here, even though I was born in Rome Italy.

Looking through your resume, how did you make the transition from a guitarist working with bands to hip hop music?

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll can play a toll on you and the bands you are in. Band members were having sex with the female singers, bass players doing too many drugs, drummers braking into places to get more drugs…lol…but true. Also the Rock and roll I liked was changing into these hair bands stuff. I liked REBEL music, hard, honest, for the soul music. That’s the same reasons why i got into hip hop in the 90's.



With many gold and platinum hits under your belt and over 20 million albums sold. How is networking and keeping those connections playing a role into making it in this business?

The more you are in the music business circle the smaller the circle becomes. If you mess up, people will find out and keep note of it. If you are not a friendly good person, people will find out and keep note of it. If you are great at what you do, people will find out and keep note of it and will keep calling you.

Talk to us about your label Plain Truth entertainment. Who is on the roster?

We do a lot of joint ventures because I feel that Plain Truth Ent is not big enough yet to do ALL the work, promotion, funding etc... And the artists just make the music.
They have to be part of the movement and work hard even after the music is made.
"One of our slogans is "You wanna be rich and famous? Help Plain Truth Entertainment make you rich and famous" Anyway , our full albums joint ventures (Roster/Artists) are O'neal McKnight, Sam Scarfo, Imam Thug, Dirtmell, The Mix King. Single deals with Gwen McCrae (many remixes coming), Enjoli, J3 and a few other artists that we are negotiating contracts right now.

You have “The Mix King EP”. Was it with artists that you have worked with in the past or new artists also on it?
I worked with all of them before and here is the list of the songs and artists
The Mix King "the EP"
The Mix King featuring:
1.The Mix King feat Havoc, Nyce Da Future and Cormega "Schools Out"
2.The Mix King feat Prodigy and Imam Thug "The Recipe"
3.The Mix King feat Dirtmell, Salute and Doemain "No Gangsta"
4.The Mix King feat Havoc, Godfather, Imam Thug, Twin Gambino,
Big Noyd, Ruc aka Mr. QB and Foul Monday "QB International"
5. The Mix King feat Black Ice and Doemain "Ain't Worth It"
6. The Mix King feat Hot Rod "Highway 69"

Was it hard getting cats to get on the EP?
Not really, they all gave me hot songs and I’m humbled that everybody got on these songs that I mixed and produced.

Describe your role as an engineer?
Trying to achieve the BEST possible sound quality using the tools that you have at hand. The opposite of a button pusher "recordist"!

What does it take for an up and coming artist to get your attention?
Big bank account. LOL. joking ….but……less talent needs a bigger budget. More talent needs a smaller budget. Greatness needs No budget because me and other people will want to invest in you and be part of what you are doing. BUT most of the times artists need some work and help. A beautiful ruff diamond still needs polishing and that’s where I come in or other professionals to put their input.

You can read the rest of the interview @ INTRIGUED.BLOGSPOT.COM















SHARE

0 comments:

Post a Comment